Hello again, I have missed all of you! I’m so excited to reopen this blog and invite you on the journey I find myself on—it’s unexpected but it is all going to be good, I just know it. I’ve thought long and hard about when would be a good time to start writing again, and I feel that now is as good a time as any.
The very short version of events that have transpired in the past year: I am now becoming a single mom of two little guys. I did not ask for this status, but after intense sadness, anger, confusion, and all of the things that come with a marriage that comes abruptly to an end, I feel like I’m coming out of the dark cave and I am filled with hope that the future will indeed be bright. I know it will be because it’s within my control to make it so. And, I want and need and deserve that more than anything.
My biggest goal moving forward is to find joy and experience it….a lot! Looking back over the past few years, there wasn’t a lot of joy going on in my life. It’s like a little cloud followed me around wherever I went and I couldn’t shake it. Something was wrong and I couldn’t put my finger on it. I thought it was maybe about needing a new job. So I went and got myself a promotion, but life didn’t feel any more joyful. I thought maybe it was time to buy a new house. So we went and bought ourselves a new home. But things got more stressful. I thought maybe I needed to work out more and run more half marathons. So last year I ran 4. But there really was something vacant in my eyes as I looked at everything that was supposedly good happening in my life. You know what it was? My heart was asleep. I went through the motions of life without any passion. Then I got the biggest wake up call of my life and now I know what I need to do: it’s time to get busy living and doing those things that bring joy to my life.
Working with my coach (check out evergrowthcoaching.com…Bay is awesome) I worked on a plan to figure out how to get some joy in my life, and here are just a few things I’ve done and got planned for the rest of this year:
- Travel to Peru with my sister (coming up in 5 days!)
- Train for and run the Nike Women’s Half Marathon in San Francisco in October
- Say “yes” to invitations to do stuff (coffee, beer, running, concerts, etc.)
- Celebrate my dad’s 70th birthday in Hawaii in August with my sons
- Own my own vehicle, and learn how to do basic maintenance on it
- Make my house (wherever/whatever that is) my home
- Take family photos of me and my 2 sons
- Visit a gulf island I’ve never seen before
- Get my group fitness instructor certification by the end of the year
- Take an art course
- Be accountable for my finances and spending
- Start my blog again
- Start coaching and training runners. Pace someone in the Times Colonist 10K race to a new personal best time (this happened in April and was so rewarding!)
Call it my revised bucket list or just a list of everything I really have been meaning to do in my life but just didn’t do it…until now.
So…please join me on this new journey. I’m going to work hard, work out hard, travel hard, love my sons hard, and basically live hard! And then blog about it.