Sunday 14 April 2013

Girls Weekend

Last weekend I went on my first all-girls weekend trip ever. Well, it was 8 girls and little 4 month old Alex.  It took 34 years to do this surprisingly but it was worth the wait – who would not want to wake up to this view:



What I learned on this trip:
-          I feel guilty going away without my family –like I don’t deserve it and am being negligent by going away. I spent a lot of time wondering if I’d be resented when I got home. Surprise—it was all good.
-          Going away without my family in tow is not selfish and does not yield disastrous results upon return. It makes me appreciate them more and Nick and Liam had a great time without me building a fort in the living room and eating pizza in it, having a beach day and movie afternoon.
-          I drive fast on mountainous roads.
-          When 8 women go away together the dishes are always immediately done.
-          Laughing heartily to the point of tears is not something that should just be reserved for people in my family—it can happen with people I’ve just met and that’s a good thing.
-          Alex is a terrible sleeper when not in his own crib. 
-          It’s good to be flexible. The planner in me can relinquish control and let others do it, and it all works out.
-          There are some amazing women in Victoria. I am excited to get to know them on a deeper level after this trip. For me, a real connection with people is important and I know I was able to do that in just 2 days.
-          Going away does not provide an automatic “OK” to drink and eat in excess or to sit on your butt all day long.  While there seemed to be an inordinate amount of peanut butter and hummus consumed, we pre-planned healthy meals. We hiked 6K along the Wild Pacific Trail and Bethany and I ran the trail Saturday morning.  It was good to weigh myself the next day and find that I lost 1.5 lbs that week.  When’s the last time you went on vacation and lost weight?! (My answer until last week: uh, NEVER.)
At the end of the Wild Pacific Trail this is the scene that greets you. Best running route ever.














Thank you ladies for a wonderful time. We will be doing this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment