Friday 25 October 2013

losing 10 pounds the wrong way

My stomach is eating itself right now.  Each day for the past four days I’ve eaten about 500 calories, drank 3 to 4L of water, and worked out in an attempt to drop 5 pounds.  I entered my gym’s 10 pound challenge 8 weeks ago, and the final weigh in is tomorrow morning.  If I don’t make it, I lose the $150 I used to enter the challenge. If I weigh 10 pounds less than I did 8 weeks ago, I get my money back plus the cash of anyone else who entered the challenge and didn’t make it.  As of right now I have 2 pounds to cut…basically by dehydrating myself.  I know my intentions going into this were good—I wanted to lose 10 more pounds before finishing my year of maternity leave, weighing less than I did before getting pregnant.  It started out well; halfway through these 8 weeks I was down 5 pounds, having lost the weight in a healthy way.  Then came the week of the half marathon.  I don’t know what it is about running long distances but anxiety plus the need to store energy for the run means eating lots and lots of carbs.  Then race day happened. Most of you reading this know that I ran my little heart out—and made my goal of finishing 21K in less than 2 hours. 1 hour, 57 minutes and 5 seconds to be exact.  I lost 4 pounds that day, just from sweating.  Then, my body went into a weird mode of gaining a bunch of weight, I guess because I needed to heal and it was storing energy to do that.  So here we are today…I am starving on purpose. It’s on my mind about every 5 minutes.  I know this is crazy and I am being stupid. Here are my lessons learned from this experience:

1)      When I set a goal and commit to it, I do it at all costs. This can be a good thing and a bad thing! Next time I set weight loss goals they will NOT be tied to money.

2)      Starving yourself is hard work and takes discipline.  Some people might be proud that they look good because of the discipline they employed in not eating. But wouldn't you rather put in the hard work doing something healthy and fun? From experience, I know it is WAY more fun to run a half marathon than under eat. 

3)      I promise you, I will never do this again!

No comments:

Post a Comment